Shingles or Herpes Zoster is a disease that contains a virus called Varicella-Zoster Virus (VZV) also known as Human Herpes Virus 3 (HHV3). This virus affects the nerve and causes pain. VZV is the same virus which causes chickenpox.
If you ever had chickenpox in your lifetime, then you have more possibilities of getting shingles disease. Even after your recovery from chickenpox, the VZV virus remains in your nerve tissue which later gives you a chance for getting this disease. It lasts for several months even years.
Symptoms of Shingles
- Pain, tingling, burning, itching, and numbness
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
- Headaches/fever/sensitivity to light
- Weaken immune system
- Fluid-filled blisters
- Discolored skin
- Red rashes
Home Remedies for Shingles Nerve Pain
1. Wet or Cold Compress
Take a soft cloth and dip into the cold water and place it on your rash and blisters nearly for 20 minutes. It helps to give relief from itching and keep your blisters clean and prevents from spreading.
Note*- Do not apply ice pack on the rashes or blisters because it will increase skin sensitivity and worsen pain.
2. Wear loose clothing
Always use cotton or linen materials which gives you more comfort. Wear loose-fitting clothes over the rash areas to fight itching. Soft natural fiber clothes help to reduce skin irritation.
3. Healing Baths
Clean your blisters daily to avoid spreading of the infection. Taking cool baths help to soothe skin and ease itchiness and pain.
Some studies suggest that taking an oat baths helps to soothe sensitive and inflamed skin.
Use oats while taking a cold shower.
- In lukewarm water, add 2 cups of cornstarch or oatmeal and soak for 20 minutes. Then take a bath with this water.
4. Manuka Honey
According to vitro study published in 2012, showed that both clover honey or manuka honey act as an antiviral agent against Varicella-Zoster Virus (VZV).
- Apply the honey directly on the affected areas of the skin.
5. Stress Reduction
According to Mayo Clinic, stress reduction is merely the great way of natural treatment for shingles disease. Researchers have linked stress with shingles. Reducing or eliminating stress helps to make you healthier. You can try these below techniques to reduce or avoid stress.
- Identify the things that trigger your stress/anxiety.
- Spend time with your lovely ones.
- Turn off your computer and phone.
- Do Meditation or yoga.
- Do deep breathing exercises.
6. Dietary Remedies
These dietary foods help to boost your immune system and prevent blisters from spreading to other areas in your body.
Foods to include in your diet:
- Eat foods which are high in vitamin A, B, C, and E and food contains amino acid lysine.
- Drink plenty of water
- Have orange, red and yellow fruits
- Leafy green vegetables
- Whole grains
- Take zinc and selenium supplements
It is a useful natural remedy for healing and skin irritation. Essential oils like Chamomile oil, Eucalyptus oil, and tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties which helps in skin-cell regeneration and ease healing.
Foods to avoid:
If you have shingles, you should avoid certain foods which are listed below.
- A high amount of sugar
- Fruit juices with more sugar
- Carbonated beverages
- Fried foods
- Foods which are high in saturated fat
- Avoid arginine-rich foods
Eating the above-listed foods weaken your immune system. Also, consuming foods which are high in arginine will cause the virus to reproduce faster.