Jaundice is a liver disorder and yellowish staining of the skin and sclera which happens due to the release of a substance called bilirubin in the blood. It can be detected when bilirubin concentrations reach > 2mg/dl.
Jaundice in adults is mainly caused by excretion of Bilirubin which is mostly formed by the daily destruction and break down of red blood cells (RBC) in the bloodstream.
Also, conditions like yellow fever, tuberculosis, malaria, glucose deficiency, pregnancy, malformations of the bile duct, liver problems result in jaundice.
Symptoms of jaundice
People with jaundice have below signs and symptoms.
- Yellow staining of the skin
- Yellow discoloration in the sclera (the whites of the eyes) and mucous membranes
- Light-colored stools
- Dark-colored urine
- Nausea & vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Fever / chills
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling in the legs & abdomen
Natural home remedies to treat jaundice
1. Bitter gourd juice
To get effective cure of jaundice, drink bitter gourd juice in the early morning daily.
- Take 1 small size bitter gourd and mash it to extracts its juice. Drink a 1/4th cup of the juice in the morning.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is useful in curing liver problems. Saponins present in the aloe vera act as a natural cleanser. Aloe vera greatly supports digestion, detoxification, liver cleansing and renewal for body wellness.
- Take Indian aloe vera and use a spoon to extract the gel and mix it with black salt and ginger.
- Have this juice in the morning for 10 days.
Drinking barley juice during a day is another good remedy for jaundice. Barley has natural diuretic properties which help to remove waste from the body.
- In a glass of water, add 1 teaspoon of roasted barley powder and 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this drink twice a day.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in treating jaundice. It helps to unblock bile ducts and protects the liver from cell damage.
- Take 1 cup of water and add 10 – 12 lemon leaves into it and boils it for about 5 minutes. Then drink it.
- Extract the juice from 2 lemons and add it to a glass of water. Have this drink at least three times a day.
- Add few drops of lemon essential oil to 30ml of coconut or olive oil and mix well. Apply this mixture in your abdomen and liver area and leave it until it gets absorbed.
It helps in strengthening your liver, and it is a great remedy for people with jaundice. It helps to keep your bilirubin level at control and aids in proper digestion, and liver functioning.
- Consume 1 – 2 glasses of sugarcane juice with lime every day.
6. Basil leaves
It is popularly known as tulsi which is a great benefit for the liver and helps to treat jaundice.
- Chew few fresh basil leaves daily.
- Grind some basil leaves and add half a glass of freshly prepared radish juice to it. To get better results, drink this juice for 2 – 3 weeks.
Lifestyle advise and diet control
- Eat only vegetarian foods. Avoid eating heavy foods which are too spicy, hot and oily.
- Avoid canned and preserved foods. Skip chocolates, bakery items, and alcohol.
- Increase the consumption of wheat flour, brown rice. Eat more dried fruits.
- Stop doing unnecessary exercises and avoid stress.
- Give your complete body rest.