Food poisoning is also known as a food borne illness which is a result of consuming contaminated, spoiled or toxic foods. It is easier to get food poisoning when your immune system is weakened.
The following the bacteria’s which cause food poisoning:
- Campylobacter – cause vomiting and diarrhea that may be bloody
- Salmonella – cause watery diarrhea
- Shigella – cause diarrhea with blood or mucus
- coli – cause sudden severe bloody diarrhea
- Listeria – cause weakness, confusion, and fever
- botulinum – cause botulism
Symptoms of food poisoning
- Watery diarrhea
- Stomach cramps
Also, you may have
- A Headache
- Muscles and joints pain
- Blood in your stool
Natural Home Remedies for Food Poisoning
1. Apple cider vinegar
ACV has a rich source of enzymes and minerals which help in stabilizing your body after food poisoning. It has anti-bacterial properties which work effectively against bacteria that cause food poisoning.
In a glass of water, add 1 – 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, mix well and then drink immediately.
It has a good healing power and considers as great remedy for the treatment of many diseases. It improves absorption and aids in quick digestion. Also, it gives fast relief from nausea and vomiting.
- Add few drops of ginger juice to 1 spoon of honey and consume this to get relief from inflammation and pain.
- You can also prepare ginger tea by boiling 1 teaspoon of grated ginger with 1 glass of water and add few drops of honey to it. Both ginger and honey help to relieve nausea and vomiting.
Lemon contains anti-oxidants that help to improve the overall healing of your body. It also aids in digestion and speedy recovery.
- Take half a lemon, extract the juice and mix it with a glass of water. Put some honey to it for sweetness.
- Drink this juice 2 – 3 times a day.
4. Basil leaves (Tulsi)
It is an excellent herbal remedy to treat stomach cramps. It has an anti-microbial property which help to fight micro-organisms.
- Add few drops of basil oil to a cup of water and consume it to kill bacteria which cause stomach pain.
- Crush some fresh basil leaves and extract the juice. Then 1 teaspoon of honey into it. Have this drink several times a day.
It has strong anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial agents which help to destroy the foodborne pathogens. It aids to relieve symptoms like abdominal pain and diarrhea.
- Chew 1 fresh garlic clove with warm water.
- Also, you can drink garlic juice prepared with some honey.
- Rub a mixture of garlic oil and soybean oil on your stomach after eating.
6. Fenugreek and yogurt
These two are the excellent combination and gives you immediate relief from abdominal pain as well as vomiting.
Fenugreek works better in treating abdominal discomfort.
Yogurt has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial agents which help to fight against the bacteria causing food poisoning.
- Take 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds along with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and swallow it.
7. Drink more water
Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your body from dehydration. Replenishing the body with fluids is necessary. A person with symptoms of diarrhea or vomiting can lose a significant amount of fluids from their body and results in dehydration.
- Taking electrolyte solutions such as Gatorade or Pedialyte helps to restore fluids in your body and prevents dehydration.
- You can also drink rice water or barley water. It helps to soothe inflamed intestine and stomach.